You are here
How to Organize and Run a Successful Human Library
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
- Do you serve a diverse community?
- Do community members sometimes have trouble getting along due to differences in ethnicity, lifestyle, or life experiences?
- Have you ever wondered what it's like to be blind, transgender, or even a nudist?
The Human Library promotes community engagement and combats prejudice by bringing people with unique life experiences together to have open and honest conversations.
"Human Books" represent a host of lifestyles and experiences that are often met with misunderstanding and discrimination. Books and Readers have the opportunity to speak personally and in private in a structured, protected space within a limited time but without any further commitment. The Human Library is a low-cost (even free!) program that will change the lives of each and every person who attends.
Join Julie Winkelstein from the University of Tennessee - Knoxville, Rachel Foyt from Santa Monica Public Library, and Chelsie Harris from San Diego County Library as they share information about the Human Library, how to start planning a Human Library at your institution, and how to make it successful and rewarding for your community.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Be familiar with the history and background of the Human Library
- Identify at least three strategies for recruiting Human Books
- Be able to create the necessary print materials to host a Human Library
- Be able to identify the resources needed to host a Human Library at your facility
- Be familiar with event logistics needed to host a Human Library at your facility
This webinar will be of interest to library staff working with the public in all types of libraries interested in establishing a Human Library.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
- All documents for each presenter are in this pdf : pdf [2.1mb]
- Chat, Closed Captioning
- Chat: pdf [79kb]
Keywords: Adult services, Outreach, Public services