You are here
Building an E-book Collection
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenters: Amanda Jacobs Foust
- Are you struggling to determine how best to spend your e-book budget?
- Do you need help navigating the confusing landscape of e-book availability for libraries?
- Would you like to stretch your libraries budget to build a comprehensive and cost-effective e-book collection
In order to provide users with a wide variety of formats, today's libraries are faced with the challenge of managing the often-complex world of e-books. Publishers and vendors place unique limitations on library e-books which can be confusing to both staff and the public. Additionally, traditional collection management budgets and best practices do not always apply.
As the former Electronic Services Librarian for Marin County Free Library, Amanda Jacobs Foust was responsible for the growth and development of e-books from a niche collection with limited circulation to an in-demand, high circulation collection. In this webinar, Amanda will explore the value of e-books in public libraries and discuss how individual publishers place limitations on e-book lending. In addition, she will offer specific information about vendors, best practices, policies and procedures that you can apply to your library.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Understand the various e-book leasing and purchasing models used by large and small publishers
- Be able to identify the major e-book vendors that work with public libraries
- Know strategies for stretching their libraries budget to build a comprehensive and cost-effective e-book collection
- Know best practices for e-books and e-book collection development and how it varies from traditional collection development
This webinar will be of interest to: Library staff and administrators involved in collection development and readers' advisory
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
- Building an E-book Handout: pdf [80kb]
Keywords: Collection development, E-books and e-readers